Wednesday, November 16, 2016

A MAN IN FULL

In submitting my final post for Jerry's Blog, I borrowed the title of one of Tom Wolfe's later novels, A Man In Full.  Jerry Erich lived a full and robust life, not defined by his disability, but by his passion to serve. RI Past President, Rick King, a close friend noted that Jerry's medicine throughout his life was to "get to work". Work was his "tonic". Jerry's philosophy was that the more you do, the more you get; when you give people more than they expect, the more you get back.He mastered the "art of service". Another dear friend of Jerry, the late Past District Governor of Rotary district 5170, Bill Mayhood noted that Jerry never "bemoaned his and Dorothy's polio disease." He would not tolerate pity nor condescending talk from others. This would invoke at minimum a hard stare from him or for the egregious offender, a verbal rebuke".

I have many good memories of Jerry and Dorothy Erich. From his taking me under his wing when I came to my first Rotary meeting in May, 1986 to schooling me on the intricacies of the RI and club bylaws. I remember him supporting his head on his hand, surrounded at the lunch table by his mates never failing to deliver a wry quip when my Domers lost! I also remember Dorothy's radiant and warm smile when she attend our club events. I remember how much he look forward to visiting the RYLA campers, counselors and staff every June when he and his buddies came to the BBQ and donated ice cream to all. Finally, I remember him anticipating his frequent trips to his condo in Maui along with his beloved friends, Ray and Audrey Clark. These and many, many more memories will be in my heart for the rest of my days and in the hearts of all those who were the beneficiaries of his love, friendship and fellowship!

Gerald "Jerry" Edward Erich, January, 1929 to January, 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment